Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Declaring my faith and standing firm...

As my very first post I thought I would start out by touching upon the transition that occurred in my life when I made the decision to have faith and put my trust in God. There have been many and I find that even after a year I still find areas where I kind of have to adjust to certain things that are going to arise from me becoming a devoted follower of Christ.

I believed in God faithfully as a very small child and I remember it quite clearly but I also remember that I kept it pretty much to myself. I pushed God out of my life from about the age of 10 until a year ago. During the time that I lived my life the way that I wanted I took up smoking, swearing, I went through a divorce, had a child out of wedlock, drank occasionally and even tried drugs although I am thankful that I didn't become an addict. Sadly all of these are so very normal in today's society. I could sit here and give excuses such as, "I was young and I really didn't know any better," or "I didn't have a mother or father and that affected my upbringing." I could go on and on with the endless list of excuses that most of society makes although I do have to mention the one that irritates me the most now and it is: It's the day and age we live in. People need to realize the world is a constantly changing place and they need to "move with the times". None of these excuses truly excuse my behavior though do they? It all goes back to one thing and that is that I was living my life for myself and not God. My husband changed all that over a year ago though when he came home from work where he had met some people that got him curious about The Bible. He come home wanting to learn as much as possible. He asked me questions to which some I had answers and then others I had only partial answers while still others I couldn't answer at all. We had more then one Bible so he picked one and started reading until he had read it all the way through. He started teaching me things that he read and each time he taught me something new I became more and convinced that the Bible really is the truth.

Now as I learn more and more (I have started reading the Bible on my own now) I notice that I begin to implement changes in my life. Swearing feels so bad that it was one of the first things to go. Although I admit that I have the occasional slip up, I have mostly omitted swearing from my vocabulary. I admit that smoking is still a struggle with me but I am determined not to give up quitting. It also means though that my entire belief system has changed and with that so has the person that I used to be. I used to be such a selfish person who was hung up on materialistic things. I cared so much about what other people thought of me and with that fear came the need to feed my self image. It's actually a huge relief that I don't feel like that anymore. Don't get me wrong, I have friends and family that don't understand and although I have tried my best to explain it to them they just can't. Right now they are of the world, they believe in all the excuses as truths and I know that I cannot change them... that I cannot save them. All I can do is try to be patient and keep trying to explain in the hopes that one day it will ignite a curiosity in them to learn. I can now love them all in a way that I never even knew was possible though and for that I am so very thankful as it is what grants me the patience I need to maintain while they call me a "Jesus lover" or "goody two shoes" which I accept that I am a "Jesus lover". I know that I am far from perfect only now I try my best to make God happy instead of myself. Still, my family especially finds that pretty strange.

I still get caught off guard by people who actually try to sway me away from God. Or even people that will try to convince me that something is right although I know (because it's clearly stated in the Bible) that it's wrong. People will try to tell me that God is misogynistic or that homosexuality is not a sin. I won't argue with anyone about it. I state my belief and tell them where to find it in the Bible and then I move on. I know it's the best I can do. After all, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink.

I think this is where I am going to stop for now but I plan to post more to come. I want to dedicate a blog to the subject of homosexuality and what the Bible says about it because if you google it you find so many who actually encourage homosexuals to believe that it isn't a sin. It only makes me sad because I believe that some actually go there looking for genuine answers only to be lead down a path of false information. To be clear I do not hate nor wish any harm on homosexuals. God loves them and as a Christian we are to love them too but we are also supposed to hate the sin itself and try to bring them the truth. I actually have a lot to share about many things. I want to thank those of you who read this post and I invite you back again. Until then- God bless and keep you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment